View Single Post
Old July 9, 2015   #118
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Not the prettiest tomatoes on the plants but they are beautiful in my eyes. The first F3 fruits, nearly ripe and the colours are more or less as expected. Clockwise from the top Top is Tundra, a ribbed black. then the big yellow heart is midnight sun, not ripe and will show the bicolour. bottom is the smooth shouldered black I call polaris and then another midnight sun, riper, showing the bicolour better
There are many better looking tomatoes on the plants but these first ones are special I think.
The seed was sown March 26. 104 days ago from today, July 9th and the plants were transplanted May 26 out into an unprotected open community garden plot outdoors in Zone 3. That was 44 days ago.
It has been cold at night early on then dry, hot and they have been hailed on. I was surprised all three have a ripening one so early. This also goes to my argument against removing early blossoms before transplanting. All of these would have set before transplant outside.
I think we might have 3 good Canadian tomatoes here. Now hurry up and finish ripening so I can have a taste
size reference: smallest is 5.5 oz, the largest is the Tundra at the top at 12.8 oz. the large bicolour is 12.6 oz.
KarenO
Attached Images
File Type: jpg first ripe fruits.jpg (41.8 KB, 181 views)

Last edited by KarenO; July 9, 2015 at 12:19 PM.
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote