View Single Post
Old July 7, 2015   #47
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
I starting fermenting three varieties of OP Tomato seeds yesterday. One was Amish Gold. The method of fermenting is in a clear glass jar with nothing over the top. I put somewhere around 300 seeds and some tomato pulp in the jar along with 16 oz. tap water. Today, nearly all the seeds are floating. I swirled the jar and most of the seeds are still floating. I would guesstimate 10% are on the bottom of the jar and the other 90% are floating.

I should add that the tomatoes were never inside our air conditioned house. The seeds were extracted the same day they were picked fully ripe. The fermenting jar is sitting on a stainless steel table under full dappled shade (Never full sun) it is right beside an oak tree. The temperatures have been in the low 90s for daytime highs and mid 70s for lows. The last time I looked at these seeds fermenting was at 24 hours after putting the seeds in the jar.

Do you think this is just a batch of bad seeds, or do they still have a chance to sink?
You must be special since I have never known how many seeds I put in a fermentation.

Just a couple of comments. When you break open the fruits with your hands you should be putting ALL of the innards, if you will, in the container, and the juice that goes in as well, is almost always enough and there should be no need at all for adding water, especially 16 oz of it, which just dilutes everything and makes it almost impossible for fermentation to happen.

You said nothing about the development of that fungal mat that forms on top of the gunk that is necessary for fermentation. Was there a fungal mat?

If fermentation was happening, and I don't think it was in your case, you should also have seen bubbles of gas on the inside of the container.

Carolyn