View Single Post
Old July 5, 2015   #39
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

I've always made it a personal policy to isolate seeds that I receive in swaps/trades/whatever and plant them in a place that would physically isolate them from my main garden. It's not that I think everyone is sending out their worst. It's that I know that all folks who trade or swap are not experts on the pathogens that they may or may not have. I am always thankful that they share with me and accept that it is my responsibility to take precautions against the worst case scenario. So, most of the time, I try out new varieties in containers up next to the house. I can be more watchful of their growth and progress. I can also provide the best setup for them (growing medium, ferts, etc.).

If I were in a commercial operation, I might think about these additional processes to maximize my available stock with primary consideration to my business's public image. And, if not for discussions like this one, I need to know all my options - both easy and complicated. But, I also am a person who is always thirsty for knowledge. So, this thread is great. But, in my present configuration as an amateur grower, I can't see going to this extreme.

Salty, if you think the variety is true, then go ahead and save seeds and regrow. You might find, as I have found before, that it is just a matter of giving it a good environment to produce for you. Just keep it isolated as best as you can to be ultra safe with the rest of your plants.

JMHO!!
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote