View Single Post
Old July 5, 2015   #81
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenthumbomaha View Post
I used the 5% solution of bleach on about 10 plants as an experiment. I only went up halfway, about two feet. All the sprayed leaves turner a horrid shade of orangy yellow, but it has slowed the progression, for now at least. The septoria is still creeping upwards but the plants are still going strong.

This year is very different time wise (early) for disease. None of the fruit is showing spots or deformities.

- Lisa
I have never seen that reaction to the bleach solution. Did you spray when the sun could hit the wet leaves? I don't know what a 5% solution means because of the differences in the formulations of different brands of bleach. I now use only the Clorox with the 8.25 % sodium hypochlorite and add 5 to 5.5 oz to a full gallon of water along with a few drops of dish washing soap.

You need to follow up the bleach treatment with a copper spray and remove as much of the diseased foliage as possible. Septoria is very hard to control and you may have to treat it multiple times to get it under control. By spraying only the bottom two feet of the plant you have done nothing for any disease above that area so watch out for it spreading.

Bill

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote