View Single Post
Old July 5, 2015   #30
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
Carolyn, you have really helped me to understand. Thank you.

I have a related - but totally separate question:

I got cherry tomato seeds from a swap that do not grow well. The germination rate is poor, the plants grow stunted. and produce only a few tomatoes at best. My question is, "If I were to save seeds from those few tomatoes, do those seeds have much of a chance to grow healthy productive plants when planted next growing season?"

The seeds are not rare or anything (Black Cherry) and I'm thinking that it would be better to toss the seeds I have and just buy some more. But, I am curious about the question above.
Robert, the major reason I have never participated in a swap and never will, is b'c you have no idea where those seeds came from, geographically re possible tomato diseases, nor who donated the seeds and how they might have processed them.

Only once had I set out several plants of the same variety, and I knew who produced them, but not how they processed them until it was too late, and I could see no evidence of any foliage diseases and they were so stunted I pulled all of them.

All to say I would definitely NOT save seeds from any fruits, rather, I would buy new seeds,

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/w...b=General_Info

Why not buy them from Tomato Growers since it was Linda's late husband Vince who bred them, Tania says from a natural cross but Vince bred them, not from a natural cross.

When looking at seed availabiity Tania has not updated for 2015 but most of those places I'm sure still have them.

I talked to Linda about them and suggested what Vince might have used, but obviously she was not willing to speak to that. I was one of a few who bought seeds when they were first listed it and the germination was horrible. When I asked linda about it, she's been a long time friend and I've sent many seeds to her for trial, she said that that first batch of seeds had too many immature seeds in it and that's why the germination was so bad. They had not contracted out seed production for it, did it themselves and didn't have that much experience doing it.

However, saving seeds from fruits that did appear gave close to 100% germination when sowed, so indeed it was an immature seed situation at first.

So buy some new seeds and get rid of those stunted plants.

Carolyn