View Single Post
Old February 25, 2006   #4
MsCowpea
Tomatovillian™

cthomato,

Quote:
"Of course I have alot of their stuff since I'm a sucker for online ordering."
Tell me about it. Since I have read that book I purchased 4 different containers from them as I wanted to compare them to Earthboxes. I may photo the 'guts' of some of them as it helps to improvise home-made containers.

Right now I have (7) earthboxes, (28 ) 15 gal. containers, (3) 10-gal. self-watering ones from discount store,
(5) 50 gal., (17) 3 foot bottomless ones, (and 23 raised beds, 6 on legs).

The reason I was so interested in that book is I also find self-watering containers work better and are absolutely fool proof. However you have got to set it up exactly according to the instructions. Once you do that all you have to do is water, never fertilize again after that initial set-up. Perfect for the beginner.

I love Earthboxes and have made the home-made ones too. Earthboxes may be expensive but I know they will last a long time. Can't remember exactly but think my oldest ones are at least 8 years old. The plastic storage ones deteriorate in the sun faster. Still it is a good option as you can make self-watering containers cheap.

That said I still love my 28 'regular' pots as I like messing around with them-trying different fert., amendments, magic potions, etc.

"When we kill off the natural enemies of a pest we inherit their work."
Carl Huffaker
MsCowpea is offline   Reply With Quote