View Single Post
Old March 8, 2007   #12
Mischka
TomatovilleŽ Administrator

I'd hate to see anyone stop supporting Rob Johnston's employee-owned company solely because some scumbag hacker managed to break into his server and steal customer billing data.

Johnny's Selected Seeds has always offered great service and competitive prices.

The sad fact is, as fast as security holes are discovered and patched, determined hackers are working feverishly to find new ones to exploit. There are companies overseas that actually employ net-savvy programmers for the sole purpose of hacking financial institutions and other places where sensitive financial data is processed and stored.

It's a multi-billion dollar black market business.

There's also a catch-22 situation when it comes to publicly announcing that you've been hacked. Not only do you risk alienating customers and future sales, you also draw attention to your company from the many hacker groups out there. These groups take a perverted pride in competing with each other to be the first to break into a company's data network AFTER the company has acknowledged a breach, just to gain "street credibility" for their hacking skills.

I'm not making excuses for Johnny's, TJX, CitiGroup or any other company that has had their data stolen. I just want you to know that the odds are stacked in favor of the scumbags...and not the honest companies and individuals out there. Please keep this in mind before you decide to punish them further by taking your business elsewhere.

One last word of farewell, Dear Master and Mistress.

Whenever you visit my grave,

say to yourselves with regret

but also with happiness in your hearts

at the remembrance of my long happy life with you:

"Here lies one who loved us and whom we loved."

No matter how deep my sleep I shall hear you,

and not all the power of death

can keep my spirit

from wagging a grateful tail.
Mischka is offline   Reply With Quote