View Single Post
Old June 28, 2015   #9
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracydr View Post
I have both the Kitchen Aid and a a hand crank Victorio. Although I love that the Kitchen Aid cranks itself, the strainer screen is just too small and gets clogged easily. Not too bad on tomatoes but awful on certain fruits like blackberries. I still use it on tomatoes most years.
There are several size screens available for the hand cranked food processors. Usually I use the smallest 2 mm but sometime use larger mesh. The smaller mesh just takes more time to process. The criteria is to insure the seeds are removed. I would be happy with a motor on the crank of the food mill but no such thing exists. I ordered the Victorio with the motor and will give it a try.

For delicate straining I use a Champion Juicer. After food mill straining I put the residue through this and extract almost every last bit of nutrients. It is a marvelous device but expensive. I was given it.

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?AKDTN 29 August 2014 Elderberry Juice.
Four pounds of elderberries were made into two liters of juice. Notice particularly how the berries are removed from the support substrate. The berries this year are fine quality but not particularly abundant in the cluster.Pictures depict the process.

Last edited by Durgan; June 28, 2015 at 08:27 AM.
Durgan is offline   Reply With Quote