View Single Post
Old June 21, 2015   #10
TheUrbanFarmer
Tomatovillian™

I made a top dress for my tomato beds this year. The focus was on having readily available nutrition but also something that will contribute to over all soil health in the long term. After that first initial scare of blossom end rot (that was actually under watering) I wanted to make 100% sure it was not even something to concern myself with.

Idea was to put the focus on P, K, Ca, S, and Si. Wanted to combat several common tomato issues - blossom end rot, healthy green plants with low yield, tops wilting and stems folding under high heat, and water retention.

Made a mix of: aragonite, gypsum, calcium bentonite, bone meal, soft rock phosphate, bat guano, sulfate of potash, earthworm castings.

So far so good. I applied my first top dressing of this mix at 1/4c per plant and scratched things into the surface on 6/18 - right before we got a long, slow, heavy rain. It was perfect timing as far as getting the application worked into the soil.

I fully expect the plants to respond favorably and start going into high gear with the fruit production. I did notice the leaves cringe a bit from the new introduction; The tips bowed sharply downward and began to curl/roll up a bit and took a slightly leathery appearance. I would assume this is from the high phosphorous. This general reaction faded after about 24 hours and the plants settled into the changes.

Last edited by TheUrbanFarmer; June 21, 2015 at 08:34 AM.
TheUrbanFarmer is offline   Reply With Quote