View Single Post
Old June 20, 2015   #268
BlackBear
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by nctomatoman View Post
Hey BlackBear, I will have a good answer for that after this season. Having grown them all since the beginning, I've noted varying incidence of disease, based upon the season, where they are planted, and the density of planting - which really has made any sort of generalities by variety challenging.

Some give me disease issues each time I grow them - Sweet Adelaide, Tasmanian Chocolate, Rosella Crimson, Dwarf Wild Fred, Dwarf Purple Heart have - possibly - given me the most issues with disease over the years. The Sneezy line (of which there are many releases) and Grumpy line the least.

But take these with a grain of salt - they are my observations growing them in 5 gallon containers in Raleigh, with very intense heat and humidity. Up until recently, I've also squeezed too many in close together, leading to spread of fungal disease. I am sure others who grow them will have differing experiences - but pulling all experiences of each variety into a general picture would be very interesting.

This year, at this point, all 36 look great, but they are in straw bales that give them the equivalence of a 20 gallon container each and are well separated.
Holy doodles ! that is the sort of anecdotal stuff I would like to hear about .....

you are awesome ...with this info !

I am very much aware ......."Results will vary " for all kinds of reasons

and some reasons we sometimes can not identify Why the variance .......(right away at least ).

I would expect the experienced grower with best conditions can get great results with all of the dwarf project developments ....

but what about the grower who is not so vigilant in the conditions and the plants experience variance of moderate stresses ???

Any way very interesting observations to take into consideration / awareness ...

ha ha ha ...I still want to try Wild Fred and Dwarf Purple Heart .

Most interesting in regards to the Sneezy and Grumpy lines .

to say again I am most happy with Yukon Quest.....it I believe happens to be a Grumpy descendent ??