View Single Post
Old June 20, 2015   #266
nctomatoman
TomatovilleŽ Moderator

Hey BlackBear, I will have a good answer for that after this season. Having grown them all since the beginning, I've noted varying incidence of disease, based upon the season, where they are planted, and the density of planting - which really has made any sort of generalities by variety challenging.

Some give me disease issues each time I grow them - Sweet Adelaide, Tasmanian Chocolate, Rosella Crimson, Dwarf Wild Fred, Dwarf Purple Heart have - possibly - given me the most issues with disease over the years. The Sneezy line (of which there are many releases) and Grumpy line the least.

But take these with a grain of salt - they are my observations growing them in 5 gallon containers in Raleigh, with very intense heat and humidity. Up until recently, I've also squeezed too many in close together, leading to spread of fungal disease. I am sure others who grow them will have differing experiences - but pulling all experiences of each variety into a general picture would be very interesting.

This year, at this point, all 36 look great, but they are in straw bales that give them the equivalence of a 20 gallon container each and are well separated.