View Single Post
Old June 10, 2015   #6
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsJustice View Post
Hello Carolyn
It very good to see your reply's: Your Reply's warms everyone hearts. I sent your seeds I saved from your project to the Seed Saver Exchange. I feel like you and the Seed Saver Exchange has been my teachers over the Years. It was good to see them Advertise everywhere because they are our Parents. Well my Parents. If I would have when to visit the Seed Saver Exchange Farm years ago I would have realized and Identified the Native Americans wild tomatoes growing on my property "called an "Aunt Molly" with very unusual Leafs. Well I had a good time growing over 200 variety of Tomatoes trying to found the So called Wild Tomato, I just never thought it was a little tomatoes in side the small hush on that small bush. For 20 years I only had the description of a wild Native American Tomato still growing on my historical Property Farms. So I think many people should plan a trip to the Seed Saver Exchange Farms to see in person the different leafs growing of Tomatoes Varieties.

Yes I have some that look like a Mitten Shape but a Potato Leaf. That's good information to explain about the Mitten Leaf Potato Leaf.

What kind of Leaf description we will call the Aunt Molly"s Leaves or Leafs?

Farmer Joyce Beggs
Joyce, almost everything, except for the past several years that anyone has gotten seeds from my annual seed offers here are already in the SSE seed bank and if you are an SSE member you know that in the annual Yearbooks you'll also find them listed by those who are listed members and only available to other SSE members, whether listed members or not.

So I'm not sure why you sent saved seeds from ones you got from me in my seed offers directly to SSE.

Aunt Molly is not a wild tomato. It's a ground cherry in the genus Physalis, the same genus as Chinese Lanterns and many others. And one cannot compare leaf forms from anything in the Physalis genus with a true tomato in the genus Solanum.

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q...+ground+cherry

There are several different ground cherries, and to be honest, I don't like the taste of them at all.

But there are many many different true tomato varieties that are so called wild ones and lots are listed in the SSE yearbooks. Most of them from the US Gulf states and Mexico, as spread by Spanish missionaries. Also ones from the Galapgos Islands which makes sense since tomatoes originated in thehighlands of Chile and Peru and it's been thought that birds transferred seeds from South America to the Galapagos islands.

I donot suggest a trip to Decorah, IA where SSE is to see different leaf shapes of tomatoes for several reasons. First, there's been an almost complete turnover in staff there and I am not at all impressed with the new staff as to their knowledge of tomato varieties. Last Fall I called and wanted all of my listings in the yearbook to be deleted, and they were, but all that man really wanted to ask is if I would donate my seed collection to SSE and I never got back to him and never would I do that anyway,

I'm not the only one deleting listings, that I know. many of us long term SSE members do not like the direction that SSE is taking, and no, I'm not going to be specific here.

If I haven't asnwered your questions please just post in this thread and tell me what I left out.

Carolyn