View Single Post
Old June 10, 2015   #5
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBear View Post
Thanks so much Carolyn,

the links went into various other information ...

including variegated etc. (yes I grew that one too ...ha ha ha) .

for me it was just helpful knowing somebody has made distinction between 5 types of PL.

As there must be ones that are tricky to ID at the younger stages ....depending on the environmental conditions I am thinking they express recognizable PL shape much later sometimes ...

If anybody can find that German site "taxonomy " of the 5 PL forms /shapes

or similar info. paper or I would be interested to look at it ..........

I was thinking my plants had somehow started to destabilize the variety or had inadvertently hybridized etc.

I also noticed on a few sites varieties leaf types are listed as regular/rugose as different from rugose ? Rugose / potato regular /potato potato ......are they possibly trying to describe with the 3 main leaf shape terms (Potato/regular/ rugose) a world that has at least

5 PL leaf shape varieties ?
I just lost what I had already typed, so I'll try to remember what I had typed,

No, environmental conditions do not influence whether a variety starts out as RL with lower leaves and then the newer leaves are PL. It's all about genetics. Some PL varieties are PL from the time they germinate and the first set of TRUE leaves appears, while others do the conversion bit.

Rugose varieties are RL, it's just that the leaf surface is pleated. Off hand I know of no rugose variety that is PL, there may be but I have never heard of one or grown one,

In your last pararaph, no they are not trying to define 3 types of leaf shape and some of the word combos you typed don't exist.

Finally, no one will find that German link about PL shapes. I got it initially from someone else maybe 25 years ago, and there are MANY links I once had that have disappeared. Whether it's b'c the site hosting a link dropped it, or deletion of the software maintaining it, there's no way to know. And as I said, I have had MANY links go dead, so not at all unusual.

Hopefully I've amswered most of your questions,

Carolyn