View Single Post
Old June 10, 2015   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBear View Post
Hi all,

I am wondering if any of you know the variations of the Tomato leaf better than I ?

I can spot a normal classical potato leaf ....a mile away .

(Matina , Galinas, Kimberly, Shelicauski . visitation valley, Stupice etc etc.)

I can spot a Silvery fir type leaf

I can spot "angora "

I can spot Rugose (Classical )

and what is labeled "regular " leaf .

However I think there are some variations that make things a bit confusing some times ???

Are there leaf categories that are actually between the rugose/potato/regular classifications ?

I have a Bloody butcher that seems to start out quite serrated deep in the younger leaves then as they mature ...they look Potato ......

If I were to look at it quickly with out knowing it was bloody butcher ...I would say it was a regular leaf ..(or even part rugose ?) but as the plant is getting going it looks like to me not really potato like.

So when is a Potato leaf not a Potato leaf ? .......designation is decided on mature leaves ? when immature leaves look regular ????
I no longer have the link to a german site where 5 different forms of PL were pictured and described, my link just went dead when I looked for it several years ago. The only one I remember was called mitten shape.

When starting seeds I never made the call on a new variety until the seedling was at least 4-5 inches tall, since, as you mentioned, the earliest leaves can look RL and as the plant matures only then can you tell if it's PL or remains RL.

Below is a FAQ from the original Garden Web, but since Houzz bought out GW not all pictures are shown but I think it gives a good idea of variations between PL and RL.

http://faq.gardenweb.com/discussions...-tomato-leaves

And yes, you'll see who participated in writing the above FAQ and you might recognize a user name or two.

And this is the Google search from which the above link came from so you might want to read those links that also address the same question.

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q...ato+leaf+types

Carolyn