View Single Post
Old June 4, 2015   #8
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
They don't last long before getting soft. They have thin skin. Cooking them in a pan like you cook Shi-Shi-To and add a little sea salt ...mmmm
That is good to know. Looks like they will be a pick early on day of market and hope they sell. Wonder if they can be frozen if they don't sell?

Quote:
Originally Posted by flgatorguy87 View Post
I grew them on my deck last year. I would mix cream cheese, a little flour, and some browned sausage. Split them in half to make a boat, stuff with this mixture, and then grill them up.

They were delicious.
That sounds so yummy. Did you just place them on the grill or wrap them in foil?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus1 View Post
We sell all our peppers for $1.25 per lb. except the super hots and a few smaller varieties. Haven't grown banana peppers for a few years. just not much demand.
Thanks Marcus. That at least gives me a starting point. Folks will buy the seedlings like crazy which is why I thought maybe the fruits might sell. I may have made a mistake and be looking for a ton of recipes for them. That or passing them off on folks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
I think they would sell like hotcakes if they were wrapped in bacon and dipped in chocolate.
Worth
Two of the best foods in the world. Hey if I could figure out how to do it and keep them from spoiling at market I would do it. Microwave bacon takes 10 seconds a piece and dipping in chocolate would be easy if it didn't turn the pepper mushy. Just would have to figure out how to keep the chocolate from melting in the heat. Might be an idea for fall when temps go below 100f+. Hum maybe something to experiment with. Ya never know what folks will or will not buy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph View Post
Peppers in general are one of the least desired foods at my farmer's market. I take sweet peppers and banana peppers often, but usually end up taking them home with me.

Jalapenos or Poblanos sell better for me.
I sell the seedlings for the hots and super hots, but I haven't taken any of the fruits. Usually I don't have plants left, plus the markets round here get saturated with Jalpeno and Habenero fruits. We have one vendor who brings huge cases of them loaded that he buys from wholesale house and sells for $15 bucks a case.

Only way to make money on those types if it is made into jellies and hot sauces and I'm not experienced enough at canning to try. I'd be afraid to eat my own canning, since the few times I have tried everything has molded. It so hot here and I can't keep this trailer cool enough and with no cellar, the tops even after being wet bathed or whatever it is called they still pop up and down with temp changes during day and night.
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote