View Single Post
Old May 30, 2015   #13
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by garden381 View Post
Hi Caroline137,
Please help me.
after having extreme success with the black crim, i decided to try to grow the 'Black from TULA' variety.
Do you or anyone else have comparison info or experiance with this tomato?
ALL info and input is appreciated.
=Garden381,mike
First let me speak to your post above. If you look at Tania's page for Black Krim she makes it very clear that Black Krim was first found IN the Ukraine, not on an Isle ofKrim. The fact that historically there was no seperation IMO is not relevant in terms of past changes of geography as it relates to tomato varieties, which originated in South America.

You say that many Universiteis say that many different so called black varieties originated in the crimea but being one who is very interested in tomato histories, please name some b'c I don't off hand know of any other named ones.

If you look at my post #4 in this thread you'll see that I noted that when I joined SSE in 1989 there were only 4 or 5 black varieties, and some of those came from Russians who came to Alaska from Siberia and brought seeds with them.

No doubt there may havef been other black ones that could have been grown but had no names. I think what's important is that most folks would agree that the original mutations that led to black ones did occur in Russia, whether in the Ukraine or elsewhere isn't known. How I wish I could link to the study done assaying the 5 gf alleles that are associated with black ones, b'c it strongly suggests places of origin, but that study is no longer available sincee Hoouzz bought out GW.

Yes, I have grown both Black Krim and black fromTula.
Some so called blacks have a yellow epidermis as does black Krim and some have a clear epi such as black from Tula.

Tania has this to say about the origin of Black from Tula.

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/wiki/Black_from_Tula

Tania suggests an origin in the Ukraine and then says possibly Tula, but Tula is now where's near theUkraine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tula,_Russia

I much prefer those so called blacks that have a clear epi, which I call pink/blacks as opposed to those that have a yellow epidemis which I call red/blacks.

So I prefer ones with clear epis such as B from T, Cherokee Purple, Indian Stripe and the like. In my heirloom tomato book I also listed, along with B from T Black krim, but listed it as Noire de crimee and while it should be the same as black Krim it wasn't viz fruits were darker, more productive and the taste was superior

Noire was obtained from Norbert in France who contacted 4of us in the US and wanted to trade, we did, and this was one her sent in 1992.

Finally, what I've noticed over several decades re tomato varieties is that while once stable, X pollinations and more subtle mutations alter what a variety should be. Since I've never thrown out any saved seeds since the late 80's both Tania and remy have asked if I have this one or that one b/c what they had wasnot right for the variety and ofcourse I always say sure if I dohave what they are looking for.

Want to have some fun about the so called black ones? just go to Tania's website and pull up the B's and see how many are listed.

Time is up for I have to go back to the front room and watch more tennis from the French Open.

Carolyn