View Single Post
Old May 23, 2015   #14
saltmarsh
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stvrob View Post
Clean a 5 gal bucket squeeky clean with a bleach solution and use it as an outdoor sink to prep your greens. I usually soak them, rinse, and repeat, then rinse them again with the hose on the mist setting and placing them in a large collander (ie a clean milk crate) before bringing them into the house. I clamp the hose to a pole next to my work area so I can use both hands to clean. This time of year there are lots of bugs to rinse off.

If you don't care for meat with your greens, add about 2 hand fulls of salt to 3 gallons of water, stir well.

Wash the mud and debris from the greens with a hose, shake off the excess water and allow the greens to soak in the salt water for a couple of minutes. The salt water will kill the bugs, but more importantly it will cause them to release their grip from the greens so they can be rinsed away. After the salt water soak, rinse the greens normally.

30 dozen bunches of greens and 30 dozen bunches of mustard twice a week pulled, tied, washed, iced and covered with a tarp were the first thing loaded on the truck back when I was peddling vegetables. Claud

Last edited by saltmarsh; May 23, 2015 at 11:32 PM.
saltmarsh is offline   Reply With Quote