View Single Post
Old May 19, 2015   #2
Dewayne mater
Tomatovillian™

Are the flower stems turning yellow and/or brown and then dropping? Better yet, post a picture of some flowers that aren't going to produce fruit and are going to drop. I think you have something going on because in this cooler weather this spring, I would expect significant fruit set at this point.

My number one suspicion is thrips (western flower thrips). I say that because I am battling them this year like never before. I had a strong early fruit set, then none. Then I started the war and have had more fruit set, but, not as strong as it could have been under these conditions. I have tried several things, but, these guys are tough to deal with if that is what you have.

To check, go out when there isn't much wind, put a white piece of paper under some yellow flowers, then firmly tap the back sides of the flowers several times. Look closely because thrips are incredibly small, so small they are difficult to see. If you have them, they are responsible for your blossom drop. There are several things that treat them, but, I have at most managed to decrease their population so far.

Dewayne Mater
Dewayne mater is offline   Reply With Quote