Thread: Why No Height?
View Single Post
Old May 18, 2015   #9
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

In addition to all the variables that have been discussed, perhaps the reason that variety height is not mentioned is b/c the seed vendor has no idea of how customers are growing their tomatoes, so doesn't want to be held to any specifics.

Historically when tomatoes were grown here in the US they were grown by sprawling and it wasn't until Italian immigrants started growing them with supports, as they did in Italy, similar to how grapes were and are grown in Italy.

It's also a matter of what kind of space a person has to grow tomatoes, those who still sprawl them usually have lots of space to do so while caging, trellising, etc., allows for growing more plants than if sprawled.

Commercial growers also sprawled them for many decades but now they use determinate varieties whch makes it easier to harvest by machine.

I had lots of room so I'd say that perhaps close to 90% of my several thousands of tomatoes grown were done so by sprawling, but when I moved here after retirement in 1999 for the first two years I grew my tomatoes elsewhere and yes, still grown by sprawling,

But when I started growing tomatoes here where I lived I used containers with those simple 3 ring supports and that worked out OK, but not as good IMO as growing inground.

Just trying to share a different perspective that for some growers that the possible height of a variety makes no difference whatsoever as to variety selection and suggested possible height.

Carolyn