Thread: Produce Prices
View Single Post
Old May 5, 2015   #15
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

I came home this weekend with bunches of small heads of cabbage. There was an elderly lady in a wheelchair and her hubby and they had a crate of these small cabbages they grew.

First thing I asked even before price was were they treated with chems. When she said no, than I asked price. I bought 8 heads. Couldn't pass up helping out these elderly farmers. Than I passed em all out to other market vendor friends as no way am I gonna eat that many. I'll be eating cabbage and buttered noodles for day, but that ok.

Joseph... That a good price on your berries. They selling fresh picked here that homegrown for 4 bucks a pint basket. When the food is fresh, homegrown and no chems, folks generally don't mind paying extra.

The thing I hate to see and it happens quite a bit down here is some vendors go to the wholesale market and buy boxes of stuff, bring it out to sale. You have no idea how old it is or how it been stored. The vendor will sell a bit here and there, but generally has a bunch left over and will bring that same fruits and veggies back out the next week and sometimes the next several weeks even. Yuck.

Who knows where all that produce has sat. We have one vendor who goes down to Fl and comes back with a super huge trailer loaded to overflowing straight neck squash and zucchini. He gives folks a plastic bag and they can fill all they want for three bucks a bag and he will keep bringing that same trailer out til the veggies all gone. He goes around different markets and during week when he not at market he just parks the trailer in his yard and lets the stuff sit there. Gross. He'll come the following week and you can see the molds starting on the fruits.
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote