View Single Post
Old April 28, 2015   #15
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I agree with Carolyn that you are probably dealing with foliage diseases and spraying every week with Daconil will help tremendously but if they are really bad in the area some will get started on your plants despite good prevention practices. When that happens I use the diluted bleach spray and it works wonders against the diseases on the plant; but it must be used early to be most effective. When first signs of disease appear spray the plant from top to bottom including the undersides of the leaves. A few hours later or the next day reapply your fungicide for prevention.

I live in an area rampant with both soil borne diseases and foliage diseases and have found few heirloom varieties that show much tolerance for either. I have noticed that Virginia Sweet is less susceptible to most of the foliage diseases and Neves Azorean Red has some good tolerance for some of the soil borne problems. Big Beef f1 is an excellent variety with fairly good taste in the hybrids and it has some tolerance for both. Bella Rosa is also a good tasting hybrid with similar resistance.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote