Thread: Seed or Start?
View Single Post
Old April 25, 2015   #7
Stvrob
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZGardener View Post
Thanks guys! I started a Creole red type (I cant recall the actual name) and Walla Walla. Both are getting a little water almost daily but not too much because of being interplanted in the tomato beds. I don't have TONS of room so I have to plant everything together. My focus is always tomatoes, then squash and peppers, cucumbers finally, and then onions. I will try and start from seed next year when I start my tomatoes but I tend to dedicate all my lights and space to maters. Gah! All I need is onions and garlic and I will have a complete garden...
Again- when I move to a farm, one day, I will dedicate major space to each. Until now, I need to maximize my space for all...
Isnt walla walla a long day onion? Someone correct me if Im wrong.

You need to concentrate on short day onions that will finish bulbing before the summer begins. Like the Texas Grano types.

Long day onions wont even start bulbing till mid summer at your latitude because your day length is to short. By that time it is way to hot for onions. In Walla Walla the summer day is much longer so it can bulb at a time when the climate wont be lethal to it.

Also, if you want to start from seed, do so in late september. Put them out in the growing bed November ish and you will have huge sweet onions in May.

Last edited by Stvrob; April 25, 2015 at 04:26 PM.
Stvrob is offline   Reply With Quote