Thread: Beet greens
View Single Post
Old February 21, 2007   #17
honu
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Beet greens are wonderful. Better than any other green. I'm not particularly fond of beets but I love the greens.
LoreD, I agree 100%!

Quote:
It's hard to tell from Honu's pictures how big a beet plant gets...height and width????
Adenn1, The container in the photo is 15" diameter, and about 12" deep, and the leaves of the Chioggia are about 8" long on average. The leaves of Golden were larger than Chioggia. I keep a tray of water under the pot, to keep the bottom moist like a self-watering container would, since I read "they turn woody and bitter if they lack water at any time" (Edward Smith, "Incredible Vegetables from Self-Watering Containers"). The Golden had larger and tastier leaves, but the Chioggia beet root was much sweeter than Golden.
I pull them when the beets are about an inch and a half diameter, as I read (in the E. Smith book) this is when the beets taste best.

I seed them about 2 - 3 inches apart, but each seed can grow several plants, so you still end up w/ crowded beets. I don't bother to thin, since I don't care what shape the beets form. To me, everything turns out just fine, even if crowded and some beets are odd shaped.

You can also clip the young tender baby greens to add to salads.

Also, Sandhill sells Lutz.
honu is offline   Reply With Quote