View Single Post
Old March 19, 2015   #27
FarmerShawn
Tomatovillian™

We have tried pretty much every which way to preserve our food, and we have settled on this: The only thing we still can is tomatoes (and she prefers to just do them either whole or in chunks, depending on the size of the tomatoes in question; she likes to be able to decide what to do with them when the time comes to actually cook.) We decided that we just prefer the fresher flavor and broader cooking options of pretty much everything else when frozen. That especially applies to meats, but also goes for corn, asparagus, peas...well, you name it. So, since tomatoes can just fine with a boiling water bath and don't need a pressure canner, that's what we use. We no longer have a pressure canner. We do have a glass-top stove and a big, cheap, aluminum canner pot, and ours boils just fine. Must depend on the stove, Worth. But our stove is just a low-end Sears Kenmore, with a bit of age on it now.
So for the freezer, we make lots of use of our Foodsaver. For moister stuff and more delicate stuff (like berries) we pre-freeze, then pack up, as has been mentioned.
More recently I have started to dehydrate more. I like the dried produce, in general, but we need to retrain ourselves to remember to actually use it, since it is a relatively new process for us and our habits are old and somewhat dried up as well. Dried tomatoes, Oh Yeah! They add an almost fresh flavor to sauces and a nice thickening, like paste does. Dried leeks were pretty successful. And, of course, peppers and herbs. The nice thing about dried stuff is the minimal storage worries and space required, although I do keep our dried tomatoes in the freezer, since I did have some get moldy on me once.
Shawn