View Single Post
Old March 16, 2015   #18
zeuspaul
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
I use drip tape. I have a fertilizer injector, but have only put very soluble ferts in it. I have considered building a pipe and dripper system so that I can have easier access to the emitters to see if they are clogging up. That would let me run organic ferts through the injector, a lot of which tend to be goopy and cause clogs. If I clog up my drip tape under black plastic, I'm not going to realize it until the plants start to wither.
A lot to think about. I am going to keep my runs short so a problem on one row does not affect another. It would be simpler to use a long run spanning multiple rows of tomatoes but I think running one drip line down each row with a valve at the beginning of each row will serve me better.

I'll keep my existing main 1 inch PVC line and tee off to a 1/2 inch PVC and 1/2 inch brass ball valve (overkill I know). Then run 1/2 drip line down the row with drippers every 12 inches ending with a flush valve. I am guessing the flush valve will help keep the drippers clean. I worry about clogged drippers but I plant extra tomatoes because I have all kinds of failures. If I lose a few more plants I can live with that. I will be installing a filter at the beginning of the entire system. The PVC will be buried or covered with mulch.

I'll take another look at drip tape. It is about half the cost but is thinner and probably won't last as long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
After you posted this I did some serious research.

What I found out was much of this but not all is interchangeable.

Worth
I am looking at a site with .620 OD, .670 OD, .700 OD and .710 OD 1/2 inch tubing. Sprinkler Warehouse sells Rainbird and DIG universal fittings which fit all of the above. However if one uses compression and barb fittings be careful to check the specs.

http://www.sprinklerwarehouse.com/Un...ngs-s/8116.htm
zeuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote