View Single Post
Old March 16, 2015   #7
sjamesNorway
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by spuriousmonkey View Post
You would need to measure the temperature under the lights. That's how warm the plants will be and that will decide how fast the physiological processes can run. The warmer, the faster a plant can grow. (which in this case is not good).

Are the plants leggy this year?
When did you start them?

My biggest mistake as a fellow scandinavian tomatoe grower is to start them too early. I started my first batch this year on the 5th of March. A few weeks later then last year, because I run into logistical problems later on. Plants are growing fast and are big but they can't go out yet (during the night). Last year I had around 100 plants. This year it will be more.

Legginess isn't a really big problem usually because you can plant the seedlings just deeper when you transplant them. The extra stem length just goes underneath the soil.
Hi fellow grower in Scandinavia! I started my seeds for plants that are going in the greenhouse on the 7th and 8th of March. They're not leggy yet, but I don't want them to get that way. I'm growing my greenhouse tomatoes in containers, so there's a limit to how deep I can plant them. I have a cool room in the cellar, but it's hard to get the temp. under the lights much under 20 degrees, even though it's just over 16 in the room. Nighttime temp. holds at 16. Guess that'll have to do. I'll start my outdoor garden toms on March 20th (the vernal equinox). I'll have about 30 plants, so the logistics will be easier than your 100.

Steve
sjamesNorway is offline   Reply With Quote