View Single Post
Old March 15, 2015   #9
zeuspaul
Tomatovillian™

I have a PVC system with drilled holes. I vary the spacing and hole size to even the flow. I use 1 inch pipe for runs longer than 20 feet. The flow still isn't even but good enough for me.

I can water about 300 feet of tomato garden in about fifteen minutes. If I use drip it will take hours and I will have to remember to come back and shut it off.

However I am in the process of changing over to 1/2 drip line. I no longer feel comfortable with using PVC exposed for long periods of time to heat and sun. It may be safe but for now I am switching to polyethylene drip line.

I see more advantages than disadvantages. Polyethylene drip line is cheaper than PVC. 500 feet of 1/2 inch drip line is about $100. 500 feet of 3/4 PVC is a little more $ but a lot more $ if I have to use 1 inch pipe. I can use much longer runs and water a larger garden all at once. I feel more confident that polyethylene is a safer plastic for the garden.

A cautionary note if using 1/2 inch drip line. There are at least four different sizes of 1/2 inch drip line. Selecting fittings can be a challenge because of mismatches.
zeuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote