View Single Post
Old March 6, 2015   #35
joseph
Tomatovillian™

luigiwu: My frost free season is so short, that I have to pick the peppers green just before the first fall frosts. Some of them are just starting to ripen at that time. Then I allow the seed to continue to mature for a couple of months using the energy stored in the fruit and the placenta. I've grow peppers this way for up to 6 generations, so it works OK for some family types.

One of my favorite varieties is Pimento. Alas, they are longer season than most, so the variety has petered out of my landrace. The seed just couldn't mature sufficiently under my conditions. A variety that I culled intentionally was Big Daddy. It grew gigantic fruits, but on small plants, so the fruits sat on the ground and rotted instead of maturing. California Wonder didn't survive for me. I've ended up with a high concentration of yellow peppers that ripen to red. The bell varieties suffer a lot from sunburned fruits and got culled for that reason. Wish my pepper vocabulary was better so that I could classify them by shape.
joseph is offline   Reply With Quote