View Single Post
Old March 4, 2015   #4
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

You never know what the weather will be like. At least you were ready if the weather had cooperated.

What jmsieglaff said, especially the cooler temp to slow the growth if for an extended period. Its not a disaster by any means! Can you give them a few hours of mid afternoon dappled sun / partial shade when the temp is above 40 instead of the artificial light? For a few days they'll be fine. Putting them close to the bulbs will do more harm than good.

I always trench plant and start with larger seedlings than most. I live in an especially windy area. I use consecutively larger pots to keep the growth steady. At plant out they'll be about a foot but buried three times.

At planting time snap off the lower leaves and leave just a few at the top. Dig a narrow trench the size of the stem and just a few inches deep. Line the trench with the bare stem and gently bend up and fill in. The plant will right itself. I leave about 6 inches out of the ground and it takes off and gets huge roots. Just make sure there are no leaves touching the ground to invite disease.

Hope you get some sun soon . I think you are getting our weather.

- Lisa

Last edited by greenthumbomaha; March 4, 2015 at 11:18 PM. Reason: Interesting video !
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote