View Single Post
Old February 5, 2015   #26
travis
Tomatovillian™

Linda, Camo does things his way. That's fine with me. I just have a different outlook and a different way of doing things. I hope you are open minded enough to grasp and accept that the same way I grasp and accept what Camo does, even though I may disagree.

As to your question ...

What I do when I grow several plants of the same variety and discover a single plant or two that is exceptional? Well, I only save seeds from the best example(s) whether that be one single plant or a couple or three plants.

Yes, I keep the seeds I collect separate, plant by plant, and document the traits of each plant from which I collect the seeds. And I make a notation on the individual packets as to the superior traits I have assigned to each seed line.

No, I do not save seeds from an inferior plant, whether I adjudge that inferiority to be on account of poor production, disease susceptibility, incorrect leaf shape, excessive catfacing or other defects in the fruit, whatever the weakness.

And no, I would never mix seeds from separate plants together if one of the plants is inferior to the other(s) ... never.

After all, and as I've said, selection is your friend.

Last edited by travis; February 5, 2015 at 09:51 PM.
travis is offline   Reply With Quote