View Single Post
Old January 12, 2015   #5
Vespertino
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zana View Post
Glad to see you back in the garden. Cracked my left knee and tore up the ligaments back in 2009 and spent 2 years in physio....still not back to what I consider "normal" so I can appreciate what you have dealt with.

Looks like you've got a good plan for replenishing the soil. Good luck.
Yeah, it's very difficult both mentally and physically to damage a major load-bearing structure on the body. So sorry to hear that you went through a similar injury. Like you, I'm not close to "normal" either and I'm beginning to accept I may never be. While I'm not crippled anymore, I feel like my broken knee is 20 years older than the unbroken one: crunchy, achy, can't kneel or deep squat without discomfort, tires easily, muscle weakness, and needing ice/warm-pack + elevation it a few times a week. I do have my ROM back, but everything else is iffy.

If anything the gardening helps keep me active despite the discomfort, even if I have to elevate my knee I feel better knowing I got some gardening done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdvpc View Post
For grasshoppers, I put down NOLO. I used it in El Paso, where we had a bad hopper problem. I put it down in early March, and it worked well. I used it for about 4 years, and by the second year, almost no hoppers.
Thanks, I had heard of NOLO in passing but couldn't remember what it was called. Is is a pesticide specific to grasshoppers or is it more broad-spectrum? The grasshoppers were horrible, they ate everything except the lemongrass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peppero View Post
Thanks for posting . It seems that you are managing well.

jon
Thanks Jon! Good to be back in the garden for another year
Vespertino is offline   Reply With Quote