View Single Post
Old January 2, 2015   #202
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

They look great! Yep, the F3. This one is going to be on the larger size for a micro, the leaves are big and thick and rugose. Very compact and stocky though. So far this is my favorite micro cross. I have three plants and there does seem to be some difference in size.

I would definitely spread those out so they are not competing for light. Which ones to toss, (or maybe give away?) is up to you. Pick the best ones as far as overall plant health, compactness, strength and bloom #. Throwing out plants is hard to do. lol!

I don't buzz my flowers, I guess I handle them enough and the jostling helps pollen shed. You can also just flick the flower stem or tap the pot on the table a couple of times. The fan should be fine as well, smaller risk of cross pollination but not enough to worry about, IMO.

Looking forward to seeing the ripe fruit on these.

edit: another question that has come up is how many flowers are aborting w/o setting any fruit? Do you have a sense of this on your plants? Mine do not seem to be dropping blossoms and the first truss has 20-30 fruits on it.

edit2: what kind of automatic watering system do you use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfollett View Post
Chris - I believe the seed you sent me was the Micro-Multiflora F3 (I don't have the seed packet with me).

Do they need to be buzzed to pollinate when inside without any pollinators flying around? I planted these in late November and have pretty much left them alone since. I put together a self-watering setup that has worked very well as long as I fill it every two weeks or so. I have been too busy/lazy to give them the attention I thought I would and have only even checked on them every couple of days.

Also, should I get rid of some of them and spread them out so they have more room? When I set things up, I planned the space around the pot size and didn't take into account the plants would spread like they have. They are in one gallon pots and are almost 12" in height. They are absolutely loaded with flowers, but I don't know how well they are setting fruit. Like I said, I have paid them very little attention. Just today I set up a fan that will give them some wind for 30 minutes 3 times a day. I wish I had thought of that a month ago.

I have another identical shelf with 10 pots of various other micros. They don't look nearly as healthy as these, although they are of various varieties and so they look somewhat different, rather than all identical like these.

I will pull them all off the shelf Saturday and give them each a good look to see if there is anything ripening. I have really neglected them, so to look as good as they do here, they are really a vigorous plant.

Ignorance more frequently begets knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science. --Charles Darwin

Last edited by ChrisK; January 2, 2015 at 10:28 AM. Reason: typo
ChrisK is offline   Reply With Quote