View Single Post
Old December 15, 2014   #11
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottinAtlanta View Post
Let me be clear that I am not composting the mulch first - I am putting the mulch directly on the beds about 6 inches deep. I will be mixing in coffee grounds as available, but am depending on the rains and microbial action to do the work of breaking them down. When planting I will put a healthy few handfuls of black compost in each hole. I will try to add more nitrogen to speed things up.
The most I have ever done like you describe is 3 inches deep of leaves. (fully chopped and settled 3 inches) Never did 6 inches before. However, I did have a very good year that year. The soil did not get too acid at all, though people told me it would.

Little warning though, 3 inches turns to almost nothing by spring. I had to mulch again with grass clippings in spring. 6 inches might turn to double nothing?

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote