View Single Post
Old December 12, 2014   #25
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

How long do your seedlings stay under the lights?

My growlights are in the basement with temps like yours, but I have been putting the seedlings upstairs on sunny windowsill during the day and giving them 4 hours under the lights + 8 hours in the cold/dark.

The resulting seedlings are robust and healthy, but not as stout as the ones that I see for sale in the nurseries in the early summer.

Linda

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsieglaff View Post
Just reading this fairly old thread. I by necessity or maybe convenience do this to my tomatoes. I sow seeds and germinate atop my fridge probably in the upper 60s/near 70. As soon as they sprout they go under the lights in the basement in the upper 50s/lower 60s depending on the year. They get potted up into 4" squares then moved outside in the cold frame between April 15-25. While in the cold frame they experience a fair amount of 40s but they are receiving ample sunlight. The coldest nights are the ones following cloudy days as the black jugs with water are not warmed those days. My tomatoes are always stocky strong and have good roots. The plants always do well. I haven't ever not done it this way but I'm not looking to change a process that works. So call me a fan.
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote