View Single Post
Old December 4, 2014   #5
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsieglaff View Post
Have you emailed their customer service? Perhaps the squash has been replaced with a new one that is of the same parental lines but selected for an improved trait like DTM, disease resistance etc. The catalogs don't always state those things. According this burpee is the breeder and vendor of this variety http://cuke.hort.ncsu.edu/cucurbit/w...lt/squash.html
I don't believe that variety could be improved very much. Butter Stick outproduced any green zucchini I have ever grown with the added benefit of having mainly one good stem which made them much easier to keep in the raised beds. The plants withstood even vine borers better than any other squash I have grown. By that I mean it took the borers longer to kill them once they got in them. The variety was really named well because they maintained that soft buttery texture much longer than any other yellow zucchini I have tried. The newer ones that I have tried have to be picked much smaller or the skins start getting dark yellow and tough while still fairly small.

We only needed a couple of plants to feed us and give squash away. With all the other varieties I need to plant at least 3 times as many plants just to have barely enough to eat. Maybe that is the reason they discontinued it since just one packet of seed lasted for years. I would be happy to pay more just to get that wonderful variety again.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote