View Single Post
Old November 19, 2014   #22
drew51
Tomatovillian™

I don't remove the trellis. It's there, just hard to see the wires. The black connectors on the 4x4 post in the above photo show where the wires are, you can see them. The green posts are for a chickenwire fence. That keeps my dog out. he knows not to go into the raised beds, but the blackberries are in ground, and he just doesn't get it? So I had to put the fence up as he was running through ripping canes out as he hit them. He is super fast and young! He just plows through anything in his way. Yes you do not have to do what I do. Yes leave them on the trellis. Next spring I will remove the leaves and tie up the canes. Any new canes that form will be left to sprawl on the ground. The trailing types stay on the ground. Boysenberry, Tayberry, Wyeberry, Black Diamond, and Columbia Star, etc.
My dog now leaves everything alone, he does a great job of even keeping the birds out. I lost about 5 fruits to animals this year. At first he was leaving the birds alone, but seeing me chase them, he now chases them too. (and I praise him).

Again I only tie floricanes to my trellis, so nothing is tied right now all floricanes fruited and were removed. I will tie the semi-uprights too to help support the heavy fruit bearing canes. I let them go where they want as primocanes.
drew51 is offline   Reply With Quote