View Single Post
Old October 31, 2014   #8
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

Even if you're not using raised beds, you can mound the soil in the center of the beds and dig permanent walking paths. This keeps the soil fluffier (so it does not get compacted by being walked on) and enables you to use defined paths (mulched or whatever -- also helps avoid walking in mud). You'd then add amendments or compost only to the garden beds, not the path area. And you could lay down cardboard or other weed-blocking material in the paths, covered with mulch.

About 4-5 ft. wide is optimal, which is the amount you can reach across from 2 sides. If you can only access one side of the bed, then 3 ft. max. width. Beds can be any length. It does help to have a path or at least a steppingstone in the middle of a very long bed, although it's a tradeoff vs. planting space.

I've often tried to optimize planting space at community gardens at the expense of path space, and by the middle of the season, I've often wished that I'd planned the space better. The plants in the center of the jungle get neglected or are very difficult to pick and tend.
habitat_gardener is offline   Reply With Quote