View Single Post
Old October 18, 2014   #148
dfollett
Tomatovillian™

Default Micro?

Just what is a Micro?

Two weeks ago, before I read this thread, I would have tossed this one plant out. I have grown lots of dwarfs – every variety from the Dwarf Project that has been released and several that have not yet been released. I think I understand what they are. Two weeks ago, these plants were the same size, and yet they both still look healthy. They are from the same parent.

I did germination tests of the seeds I saved this year. Two weeks ago, I potted up several from among the most vigorous of those seedlings so I would have some to grow through the winter. I've noticed that one did not seem to be keeping up, but haven’t paid much attention until today. Today I looked them over closely. Two weeks ago, the two pictured below were the two best seedlings from a group of 10-15 seeds planted. There couldn't have been much difference between them, because I only potted up 10 from at least 150 seeds I tested and only used the healthiest. I have another 8 potted and they are nearly identical to the larger of the two. The third and fourth photos are the same plants from above to show detail of the leaf structure. The last two photos are of fruit from the parent plant.

I have never seen a seedling stay so small and still look so healthy. It is actually slightly darker and richer in color than others. They are the same variety. They are from an F5 of an unstable variety from the Beauty line of the Dwarf Project that is still being worked. The parent of these had what I thought was the best color and best flavor of everything I grew this year.

Could this be a micro? Like I said, two weeks ago, I wouldn't have looked closely at it and would have tossed it. I am certainly going to plant it in a small pot and see what it turns into.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20141017_220714563_HDR.jpg (238.6 KB, 190 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20141017_213011003.jpg (213.4 KB, 189 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20141017_213137911.jpg (215.2 KB, 192 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20141017_213144988.jpg (203.6 KB, 192 views)
File Type: jpg Dwarf Firebird Sweet9a.jpg (211.1 KB, 191 views)
File Type: jpg Dwarf Firebird Sweet9b.jpg (202.2 KB, 190 views)
dfollett is offline   Reply With Quote