Thread: Peppers Mild
View Single Post
Old October 16, 2014   #1
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Default Peppers Mild

The name of this place is, "Peppers Hot and Sweet". (Not to be difficult) but my favorite peppers are Anaheim because they can sometimes be a little hot, but the 4 others picked from the same plant - same day are not.

The main reason why I am making this thread is because I was getting ready 10 packs of 15 seeds each of Anaheim pepper seeds for the MMMM this year. And I couldn't choose to label them as hot or sweet. I asked my wife, and she said, "Mild". Hmm, mild isn't an option for the MMMM, and even if it was, Mild doesn't seem to have an agreeable definition.

Internet agreed with my wife. Every site I looked at had them listed as, "Mild."

I noticed a few years ago, with another variety we really like to grow and eat; Serrano. While our garden grown Serrano peppers are green - they are really hot (Hotter than Jalapenos). Yet, when we let them ripen on vine turning them dark red - they take on a sweet taste with just a tiny hint of stinging heat.

Again, the red Serrano peppers, I would call that a mild taste.

Of course there are plenty of pepper varieties that fall into the sweet category like regular banana peppers. When eaten fresh off the plant, some say they have very little taste but are absolutely sweet peppers. We have found that cooking banana peppers in a soup or sautéing them in a skillet releases really nice flavors.

And hot peppers are too many to name. We grew one this year that produced plants so beautiful that I am sending in 20 packs of 15 seeds each to the MMMM as bonuses. The tabasco pepper plant is so pretty - it could easily be called an ornamental and that is why I'm donating so many seeds. I want others to see their beauty. My av is a picture of the Tabasco peppers we are still growing (October 15, 2014)

To me, Mild peppers are not sweet or hot, but kind of both. I was wondering if you guys grow or like other varieties of mild peppers that I have not mentioned? I would like to grow, taste, and experiment with other varieties. Your input will be greatly appreciated.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote