View Single Post
Old October 1, 2014   #14
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Hubby counted and I have 26 planted at our tiny RV spot on the intracoastal waterway. We are in Oak Hill which is about 10 miles South of New Smyrna Beach. Being just 30 feet from lots of water it usually doesnt freeze here and normally tomato plants will survive the winter.

I have all plants in Swcs except two which are in the coquina shell ground. The land we are on was created 100 olus years ago when the intracoastal was dredged. The two plants in the ground are a test.

I have so far two tomatoes growing on a PBTD, one on an Ugly Ripe, about 20 on Black Cherry, 15 on Sungold, and 3 on Stupice and Juane Flamme. But for each tomato on those plants, there were many more blooms that dropped or developed into those tiny tomatoes that dont grow.

We do have 2 Bloody Butcher plants that have about 20-30 tomatoes each. But those are from Summer starts and all those tomatoes set during a two week time fram that was drier and highs were below 90. Probably 50 blooms on eaxh plant have dropped. So not a good percentage of fruit set on any plants yet. We had some Juliets just as a trial during summer and they kept producing but they were so bland and ctunchy that we pulled them to make space for or others.

Hoping the plants will survive the rains and really pick up on production.

I got home after dark but will post pics tomorrow. Sorry for typos... sent from my phone.

Ginny
Fiishergurl is offline   Reply With Quote