View Single Post
Old October 1, 2014   #5
Gardenboy
Tomatovillian™

Default FL tomatoes

I started my tomato and peppers seed around August 15th. The peppers really took off great. The tomatoes began to sprout after a few days. I start my seeds in 1/2 peat moss and 1/2 rabbit manure. I grow my tomatoes in 15 or 20 gallon containers. Have transplanted 25 so far. I gave up 30 years ago trying to plant in the ground. I prefer to mix my own potting mix and go that route. Been having late afternoon/evening rains. NO rain yesterday. I have rain buckets outside to catch all the runoff from the roof and patio. Had 2 plants ( Azoycha & Gary O Sena ) have curly leaf virus so I discarded those plants. My Black Cherry and Isis Candy are doing fine at the moment. I grow all indeterminate varieties. Usually over 40 or 50 different varieties. One of my Keystone pepper plants does have blooms. Last season was great production but also terrible for hornworms. Not really sure why. Suppose to be a cool front coming by Sunday...low of 67 here in south Florida. I hope to transplant another 10 by the weekend into their containers. Try adding some baking soda to your soil if you experience sephoria or any of the soil viruses. My grandfather taught me that. 1/2 tsp for 1 gallon of water. Do that twice a week. Baking soda helps with eliminating soil born viruses.
Gardenboy is offline   Reply With Quote