View Single Post
Old September 23, 2014   #83
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

So what is TexMex?

There are so many thoughts on this question. I think the true answer is in the eye of the beholder. I have many friends that think it means nothing to do with food and they might be right.

TexMex is honestly a cuisine in itself. The use of Comino or Cumin comes from Indian cuisine. For a majority of Texans - it ain't right without Cumin or Comino in it.

Fajitas are TexMex. Around where I live, you can get skirt steak fajitas in every other place to eat there is. Nowadays, you can get chicken, turkey, shrimp, lobster, and even deer fajitas. I'd try moose and polar bear fajitas if you spice it up right.

Chili Con Carne is what the rest of the world knows as, "Chili". It is 100% TexMex, but other dishes with next to nothing in similarity try to compare. Chili competitions happen here in the summer much less in the colder weeks.

But that is an outside view of what TexMex really is. I wrote the above using google/wiki for examples. I left out how the use of cheese beans are TexMex too.

I personally cook a majority of my dishes reflecting TexMex and Cajun styles. After all, I live much closer to Louisiana than I do Mexico. But as we all do, we choose our favorites from around the world. My favorite recipe has nothing to do with any certain region in the form of calling it that areas' specialty.

Mexican/TexMex, how do you cook Dorado?
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote