View Single Post
Old September 22, 2014   #6
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
I put out some Diva plants a few weeks ago, and I'm not sure how
they are going to fare.
Between foliage diseases and worm attacks, the plants don't look especially healthy.
My broccoli plants I set out at the same time were totally devastated by a major worm infestation.... guess I didn't get the dipel(BT) on them soon enough....

Lee
Lee I usually include Diva as one of my spring cucumbers but since disease, heat and pests can be quite a problem sometimes in the fall I left them out. I have never had much luck with them in the fall as they tend to be more sensitive to the harsher conditions of fall.

I just started my broccoli and other fall seeds a week ago. As slow as the cool down is getting here I may have to delay planting them if it isn't cool enough in the next month or so. I usually have trouble deciding when to start seeds for fall and winter crops because of our erratic weather. It is still far too hot to even think of setting out something like broccoli now as it would head before it got 8 inches tall in this heat. Of course it might suddenly cool down like it did last year and I won't have anything ready to set out.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote