View Single Post
Old September 21, 2014   #2
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

I do a lot of tomato juice reduction. Mostly, I do a 35% to 50% reduction. I can the results and use it for everything from sauce to juice. I always use the recommended amount of canning salt (I teaspoon per quart) in each jar. But, then, I don't have a salt problem. Less salt can be okay, but if you reduce the salt, I'd use pressure canning methods and times.

In any case, reduction is a bit tedious unless you keep your focus on the results. I bring my 12 quart or 8 quart pot to a very slow boil. I don't get in any kind of hurry. When the pot shows a slow roll of the contents, then the temperature is right - usually down on or around the "simmer" setting. Now the key is to stir frequently and make sure nothing is sticking on the bottom.

Keeping the "slow roll" going is easy with the pot's lid off. I stir about every 5 to 10 minutes and it seems like the level just keeps going down. When I can see that the "thickness" of the juice is where I want it, I start the canning phase of the process.

I use anything and everything that's on the counter when I start the process. I always taste the contents during the reduction to make sure it is where I want it. I only add the salt (and for me, it's salt to taste) after I know the thickness is achieved. For those years where the contents have a bit of "green" taste, I might add a bit of sugar to taste.

I make only juice and can use it to make all the other things like sauce, salsa, and other goodies.

Hope this helps.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote