View Single Post
Old August 25, 2014   #25
kenny_j
Tomatovillian™

Tracy, most mixed grass seed contains white clover, not sure which variety. And I am sure it will tolerate quite a bit of shade. It is all over my yard, and the white flowers are usually evident everywhere. It is put in grass seed to fix nitrogen for the grass. You never really need to fertilize a lawn of this type, as long as you don't bag while mowing. I bought Dutch White, a perennial, for the garden. 6" to 8" max. height. My first year doing this, and not sure yet if annual Crimson Clover might have been a better approach. Investigating all aspects of permaculture and so much to learn. Just did a search and Dutch is considered the most shade tolerant of clovers, all of which do well in shade. The micro clovers are the smallest varieties, but seed is 3 times or so as expensive.
ADD: Just noticed you can see the white clover flowers in the lawn in both pics above. In the spring, with downed tree brances along the woods, and spots too wet to cut, small areas of grass get pretty tall, and the lawn clover tends to get a lot bigger like that in the garden, plus I always find yellow and several types of red mixed in. I have several perennial types in my flower gardens, one gets about 5' tall. pretty, but the bugs like it just as it starts to flower, and requires staking, so I plan on pulling it, just too high maintenance. I am really appreciating clover the last few years, the more I know it.

Last edited by kenny_j; August 25, 2014 at 09:04 AM.
kenny_j is offline   Reply With Quote