View Single Post
Old August 17, 2014   #48
drew51
Tomatovillian™

Some good articles, and I think wood is fine to use. But in the end it turns to compost, compost is compost. However you obtain it.
I use raised beds and much of the soil is pine bark. I also layered the bottom with hard wood (green and dry). I have ton's of worms, I add compost to the top each year, and for 4 years all is very well. Not that long, but I'm not changing a thing. I mostly use pine straw for mulch, as mentioned above pine bark for blueberries. If I can get wood chips I will but so far no luck. I can get pine straw for free. Compost is fairly cheap IMHO, so I spend maybe $30.00/year for it. I switch up compost, use all types, and buy from many places just to keep it diverse. Some mentioned how the soil looked poor at the end of the year. Mine never does. I keep adding to it, but I bet I could go for a few years with adding nothing, it's super rich. Mine looks the same, unused at the end of the year. When planting bean, melon and other seeds, plenty of worms. Even before any new spring amendments.

Last edited by drew51; August 17, 2014 at 09:17 PM.
drew51 is offline   Reply With Quote