View Single Post
Old August 14, 2014   #22
COMPOSTER
Tomatovillian™

Although I'm very new to using the arborist wood chips and am just in the initial stages of researching them I am very enthusiastic about using them. The other topic I am very interested in is the use of rock dust. The two "waste" products have two very compelling similarities for the soil building gardener. First,for a little time and effort both can be had for very little money or even free. Second, If applied in the correct quantities both potentially provide benefits for a number of years from just the initial application. In the case of rock dust, an initial application of 1lb per sq ft should mineralize garden soil for 8- 10 years. In the case of the arborist wood mulch an initial application of 4-6 inches should last 3-5 years. I love the idea of doing something once and reaping the rewards for many years. In the case of the arborist wood mulch they reportedly increase soil organic matter every year,so the rewards are actually compounded. Reportedly resulting in increased plant vigor and increased yields. I'm currently using both products and hope to report very positive results in the years to come.

Glenn
COMPOSTER is offline   Reply With Quote