View Single Post
Old August 13, 2014   #15
COMPOSTER
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew51 View Post
I use everything I can, it's tough in a suburban setting. Sources of nitrogen are store bought organics. Not a feed store in sight. I need to find cheaper sources of nitrogen.
In a few years I'm moving to a rural setting. I really can't wait. As it will take years to start my fruit trees over, and I'm running out of years! At least finding local sources of nitrogen will be easier.
I'm very lucky to have found a local source of sheep manure and discovered a couple that work in the same facility as I do that have horses and chickens. They were so nice about allowing me to come pick up the manure any time I wanted to that I have helped them with thier gardening, gave them seeds and grew 8 heirloom tomato seedlings for them. They even knew thier hay supplier and asked him if he used herbacide on the hay. He did not. Lucky me!

In regards to the recycling I couldn't agree more. It amazes me that most folks that raise animals have trouble gettig rid of the manure. Talk about an underutilized resource! It amazes me that arborist (I read the articles Tatiana) wood chip mulch is considered a waste product. I have used bark mulch for years in a part sun perrenial border and have seen mimimal signs of soil improvement. I Put arborist wood chip mulch in the same area last october and I was easily able to dectect an improvement in the soil this spring and it continues to improve along with the plants. More worms, more retained moisture and more flowers. Very impressed.

I do have a little trouble getting the wood chips for free. I called a tree service and they said they would drop a load if they were in my area but I would be put on a waiting list. However, for $75 they would deliver me 15 yds. I didn't want to wait so I ordered a truck load. I think that is an extremely fair price so that is how I got my first load. Ordering more this month.
COMPOSTER is offline   Reply With Quote