View Single Post
Old July 30, 2014   #66
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Default Breeding for Pastes

Keep in mind that these are just my results in my garden -

Belmonte - I grew it one year from the Franchi seeds and got a lot of oddly shaped fruit. They market it as a slicer, which is what I was growing it for whereas Tania's lists it as being both.

Polish Linguisa - I grew it last year in my quest for an elongated variety that does well in my garden. It was a flop - low production, small fruit, fell early and fast to foliage disease. I've so far found only one elongated that does well for me (Nudi Family Heirloom) and one one that's showing a lot of promise this year (Hog Heart Paste).

Red Pear - did okay the first year I grew it and produced meaty, dense and dry tomatoes. Grew it two more years from the same seeds and got very little production and smaller fruit. I did give a seedling to dad la year ago and it produces like gangbusters in his garden. Mom declares they are so huge that she can almost fill a quart jar with just one tomato. It's become a regular.

Rinaldo - did produce a fair number of meaty, dense, large plums. Will probably get another try.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote