View Single Post
Old July 18, 2014   #4
mensplace
Tomatovillian™

It used to be that country hams were so heavily salted primarily for preservation. There was salt, smoke, and then a dry room. The hams were later soaked in many changes of water to restore them rope that is the standard...and costly. Too, few are aware of the difference between hams from the different states. My favorite is KY..

Smithfield used to be almost a standard...until they got so big. I have lived in several areas of NC, but never ran across the dry sausage. Would love to hear more. Bet not many here ever had fried livermush for breakfast.

While talking about N.C....Lexington, N.C. BBQ is great, but I was raised on low-country eastern style whole hog, hickory smoked, cooked all night over a pit and basted until it falls apart. NO sauce needed.

Once of my great pleasures as I traveled every week throughout the U.S. & Europe was finding those special local foods. There was a time when traditional, family or local foods were seen at every gathering. Franchise food or restaurant is just not the same! It was in Oklahoma that I discovered there was something besides red-eye gravy and it was white gravy served over chicken fried steak in a little roadside place by an OLD lady who had been cooking it all her life. DELICIOUS

Last edited by mensplace; July 18, 2014 at 10:01 PM.
mensplace is offline   Reply With Quote